A: It depends. Liability protection that you carry for personal injury and property damage will provide some protection while you are driving the rental car. Damage to the rental car would be covered under Collision and Comprehensive Coverage, if your policy has it. The rental car company may also try to recover damages for lost income while the rental car is out of service (your policy may or may not protect you against this claim).

A: If you own, lease or finance your vehicle then you will file a claim with your insurance company. You will have to pay a deductible amount. Payment for your loss will include payment to the finance or leasing company. If you cause damage to other vehicles or property, your insurance company will handle that with little or no involvement on your part, in most cases.

Q: What happens if I cause a car accident?

Q: Will filing a claim make my premium increase or result in my policy being cancelled? 



  1. You will be contacted by an insurance company adjuster to gather detailed information about your claim.

  2. Someone from the insurance company will inspect your auto or property for damage or will ask you to provide evidence of value and ownership for loss to property that is not a vehicle or real property.

  3. An estimate is prepared.

  4. A check is delivered.

  5. Sometimes differences in actual and estimated damages arise, especially after repair work has been undertaken. Every attempt is made to resolve these differences and sometimes a supplemental check is prepared. 

 Frequently Asked Questions 

A: You can file a claim several ways. The best way is to contact the insurance company directly. 

Q: How do I file a claim?

A: The association master policy is for coverage to the structure, which you don't need. However, to get protection for your own possessions and for legal liability related to your own unit, you need your own policy. Many condominium associations will assess unit owners for master policy deductibles, that's why it is important to have your own policy and that the coverage in your policy matches with the association master policy. 

Q: What happens after I file a claim?

Q: What type of insurance does my business need? 

Q: Are natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes and hurricanes covered under my homeowner policy?

A: Many natural disasters, such as hurricanes or tornadoes, are covered in a homeowner policy. Others, like earthquakes and floods are not. 

A: Yes, your automobile policy protection is extended to anyone you grant permission to drive your car. 


Q: If I rent a car or truck am I protected against loss by my business auto policy?

Q: Will my roommate's renters policy cover me as well?

A: In most cases the other driver's insurance policy would respond and reimburse you for damages to your vehicle, property or injuries. 

A: It depends, a business auto policy won't extend to rented autos unless you have amended it. You can get protection for situations where you rent autos if you add Hired Auto Liability and Physical Damage coverage. 

Q: Do I need a condominium policy if my condominium association has a master policy for the complex?

Q: What if another driver hits my car?

A: It depends on the type of business you have but generally, all businesses need basic liability to protect them against act of owners or employees for which the business might be considered legally liable. All businesses have property therefore it is a good idea to think about your ability to replace any damaged or lost property. If your loss will be greater than expected, then it would be in your business's best interest to have insurance. 

Q: Does my homeowner policy cover my possessions when they are not in my house?

A: A standard homeowner policy provides coverage equal to 10% of the limit for Coverage C of a homeowner policy or $1,000, whichever is greater. This coverage is useful for protection you while traveling and for other temporary situations.


Q: Do I need to buy insurance from the rental car company if I have my own personal auto insurance?

A: Generally the answer is no. One claim is not a cause for concern on the part of insurance companies. But a pattern of claims may result in a premium increase or cancellation. Individual claims that are suggestive of negligence can also result in a significant premium increase or cancellation. 


Q: Will my automobile policy protect a friend or relative if I loan my vehicle to them?

A: Typical policies provide coverage for you and relatives that live with you. So, if your roommate is not relative you will not be protected under his or her policy.